The Coffee Party USA is a hosting partner with the National Week of Conversation event April 20-28, 2018.
We will be using the guides created by Living Room Conversations to get the ball rolling on our quest to encourage the use of civility and reason all across America. Part of what makes Coffee Party Talks special is the commitment of our participants to these conversation agreements:
- Be curious and open to learning. Conversation is as much about listening as it is about talking. Enjoy hearing all points of view. Maintain an attitude of exploration.
- Show respect and suspend judgment. Human beings tend to judge one another; do your best not to. Setting judgments aside opens you up to learning from others and makes them feel respected and appreciated.
- Find common ground and note differences. Look for a common ground you can agree on and take an interest in the differing beliefs and opinions of others.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others. Share what’s important to you. Speak from your personal experience. Be considerate of others who are doing the same.
- Be purposeful and to the point. Notice if what you are conveying is or is not pertinent to the topic at hand.
- Own and guide the conversation. Take responsibility for the quality of your participation and that of the conversation. Be proactive in getting yourself and others back on track if needed.
All events via Zoom video conference -- click for more info:
Topic: The Census, Redistricting and Gerrymanders
April 21 - 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET
Topic: Faith in Politics
April 26 - 3:00-4:30 p.m. CT
Topic: Ranked Choice Voting
April 28 - 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET
Topic: To Vote or Not to Vote
April 28 - 3:00-4:30 p.m. CT